COOKING TIME: 35 Mins
For the Baccalà:
1kg Pesce Azzurro Baccalà (wet salt cod fillets)
1 cup Caputo Flour
Colavita Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the sauce:
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
A few sprigs of fresh parsley, stems removed and finely chopped, extra for serving
1/2 cup Colavita Pure Olive Oil
3 tbsps. Colavita Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 x 400g Squisito Diced Tomatoes
200g Zuccato Black Olives
1 tbsp. Zuccato capers
- Start by soaking the salt cod for up to 24 hours in several changes of water. Drain the cod, pat it dry and cut it into serving pieces.
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan and add garlic, parsley, capers and olives. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan on high. Lightly flour and fry your baccalà pieces until they are lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Then transfer them to the sauce.
- Now you have a choice: you can continue simmering the dish over the stove or you can place the dish in a hot oven at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a nice consistency.
- Remove your baccalà from the oven, sprinkle with a bit more chopped parsley for colour and serve with some crusty bread.