COOKING TIME: 20 Mins
1 1/3 cups Caputo Manitoba Oro '0' flour, plus extra to dust
20g caster sugar
2 tbsps. Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup Il Bosseto Moscato or white wine
Santa Sabina Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
75g white chocolate, melted
1/4 cup (35g) pure icing sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus extra to decorate
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
30g mixed peel, finely chopped
175g caster sugar
5 large egg yolks
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
90g unsalted butter, chopped
- For the filling, whiz ricotta and icing sugar in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and chill.
- Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Add lard, rubbing into flour and sugar to resemble breadcrumbs. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and moscato to combine, then pour into flour mixture and stir until a dough forms. Enclose in plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for the lemon curd, combine the sugar, yolks, lemon zest and juice in a large pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened and curd coats the back of a spoon, remove from heat and stir through butter. Pass through a fine sieve into a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan until it reaches 180°C. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 10 equal pieces and roll out until 2mm thick. Using a 12cm cutter, cut into rounds. Cooking 1 cannoli at a time, carefully dip mould into the oil to lightly grease, then wrap a circle of dough around mould, pinching the centre edge together to seal. Deep-fry, holding together with a pair of tongs, for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining cannoli.
- When ready to serve, fill cannoli using a piping bag or a spoon. Drizzle over the white chocolate and decorate with lemon zest. Serve with lemon curd.